Friday 18 January 2019

NEWS: JONATHAN REA AND THE LATE WILLIAM DUNLOP HONOURED

JONATHAN REA AND THE LATE WILLIAM DUNLOP HONOURED



World Superbike champion Jonathan Rea has been named Belfast Telegraph Sports Star of the Year for the second time in a row.

Meanwhile, William Dunlop was posthumously inducted into the Hall of Fame, accepted on the night by his brother Michael.

Rea won the 2018 WSBK Championship, breaking a host of records on the way.

The Ballyclare rider is the first man to have won the championship in four successive seasons. He also broke Carl Fogarty's overall wins record when he claimed his 60th WBSK race success and broke the record of consecutive race wins with his 11 victories in a row to close the season. And, as if it all wasn't enough, Rea equalled Doug Polen's 17 year-old record of 17 wins in a single season.

Rea told the Telegraph: "It's scary to think I've done four in a row. The only way is down but I can't see retirement now. I'm having fun. I've just finished my training camp and I'm feeling better than ever," he said.

"I'm really motivated for this year and I can't wait to start. People say it's become boring but it's not boring for me. I'm having the time of my life winning races.

"My young son Jake has just started riding motocross. That keeps me young. I'm having the time of my life and I'm doing it with my family at my side. We're going to have great family albums!"

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/watch-brother-michael-accepts-award-as-william-dunlop-inducted-into-hall-of-fame-on-emotional-night-at-belfast-telegraph-sports-awards-37713849.html

No comments:

Post a Comment